17 Apr 3rd Time is A Charm: No Child Wet Behind 2018
No Child Wet Behind, Olympia: ROUND 3!
Along with other cities around the US, Doulas Northwest is making a difference and raising awareness about the reality of diaper need in the Pacific Northwest! What does “1 in 3” families really mean? Read on.
The national statistic: One in three American families reports experiencing a diaper need. One in three families -struggles to afford enough diapers to keep their child/children dry.
Who is this one in three? It’s me, it’s you, it’s your neighbor and your neighbor’s kids. It’s the educated, the employed, the disabled, the single parents, the ones who work hard for each dollar and still struggle.
What does this mean for the children of the one in three? It means that diaper aged children are being kept in soiled diapers for longer than is comfortable or healthy. It means they experience more frequent urinary tract infections, diaper rash, and pain. It means that their parents experience higher levels of stress because their babies are more fussy, and all too often, this increases incidents of domestic violence.
No, food assistance, housing allowances and other government assistance programs do not include provision for diaper purchases.
Area food banks do not offer diapers, cloth diapers cannot be washed at laundromats, and daycare centers usually require disposable diapers.
This staggering statistic and the realities behind it propelled the founders of ProDoula to start a local-to-them diaper drive which became No Child Wet Behind and has grown into a national movement. This nonprofit charity based organization has adopted the month of May as No Child Wet Behind month. 31 days devoted to battling #diaperneed, which includes over 20 doula agencies across the country in 2018!
Olympia | Tacoma | Seattle: THANK YOU for the past two years of incredible support. In the first two years of hosting this event, we have raised approximately 45,000 (FORTY-FIVE THOUSAND) diapers which have been given to local families. This is incredible! Now help us make this the biggest year yet!
On May 12, 2018 from 1-4pm, No Child Wet Behind, Olympia is thrilled to be back at the beautiful Heritage Park in downtown Olympia, alongside Capitol Lake, for our Event Day! An afternoon full of family fun with activities for all ages including: a one mile walk/run for the littles.
We invite you to attend with your friends and family! This year, you won’t want to miss:
- The event wide scavenger hunt!
- Cheering on the youngsters as they run their 1 mi race!
- Entering into fun raffles for great prizes
- And of course, watching with us as the mountain of diapers donated rises higher and higher!
From now through Event Day, we appreciate your continued donations of disposable diapers. All brands and sizes are needed and we’ve made it as easy as possible to get your donations to us.
- Drop off locations are set up all over the area! Check our Facebook and Instagram pages for current drop off sites.
- Online shopping: our Amazon Wishlist full of diapers to purchase and have sent directly to us! Donation convenience at it’s finest.
- Financial donations are also accepted through private donation, event sponsorship, and becoming an Event Day Vendor! (firstname.lastname@example.org is where you’ll want to direct any questions about this.)
Our official beneficiary for all diapers raised in 2018 remains Olympia’s Dry Tikes & Wet Wipes. DT&WW is a 501c3 non profit organization, open and available to our community Monday – Friday each week, during business hours.
It is the only dedicated diaper bank in Thurston, Pierce, Mason, Grays Harbor, or Lewis Counties.
Each diaper you donate helps fill the shelves of this outstanding diaper bank as families from at least five counties travel in for the diapers they need. It is an honor to reside in a community that provides such valuable support for others.
Staying up to date:
- Follow our Facebook Page for updates on our scheduled events, diaper count progress, and ways to donate!
- Stay inspired and informed with stats, quotes, data and more on Instagram: @ncwbolympia.
So many of us are fortunate to not have to struggle to keep clean diapers on our children. But this is not the case for countless families in our community and beyond. Your donations help the lives of so many, especially ones too young to even thank you.