02 Aug But What Do I Get When I Hire A Postpartum Doula?
Forget about “What is a Doula?”… I bet you really want to know:
“What do I get when I hire a Postpartum & Infant Care Doula??”
If you’re tired of hearing, “You can expect a caring lady who will help you with baby’s latch, watch over baby while your shower, and keep your water bottle filled up…” then stick around because I’ve got some real talk for you.
People don’t usually choose support services because of what they are, they choose support services because of how they make them feel.
What if I told you that you that heading home with your baby, probably won’t be like you envision right now?
What if I told you that sleep deprivation will bring you to your knees?
What if I told you that celebrating a poopy diaper with a mini dance party is a real thing?
What if I told you that you that you’ll end up becoming an expert at adjusting your plans and letting go?
Hear me when I say that keeping your sense of humor is a must. That the small victories are really BIG victories. That your own mom may not be the one who is willing to help at night like you thought. That being selective about your visitors is not only ok, but WISE. And that there is real support out there, which is designed to leave you with peace of mind and confidence at the end of the day.
Your Postpartum & Infant Care Doula understands the ins and outs of your physical postpartum recovery as well as the range of emotions you’ll go through. Your Doula is educated in and experienced with the work your newborn is doing, learning to live on the outside, and understands the behavior that confuses most new parents.
Because of this, the presence of your Doula offers an experience of support that can reduce stress and make it easier to relax into your family’s changes.
So what do you get? You get:
- Someone who takes delight in your baby with you.
- Someone who knows that you need to eat and drink before you ask.
- Someone who will change any diaper, no matter how stinky.
- Someone who does not expect to be hosted, but is prepared to take care of you.
- Someone who will help you wrestle those compression socks.
- Someone who can find anything you need on Amazon and get you the link, right now.
- Someone who can doze in any corner of your home, but prefers pillows, of course.
- Someone who will laugh with you when you splatter formula on the ceiling.
- Someone who will finger feed your baby when you want to avoid artificial nipples.
- Someone who will cheer you on when your pumped colostrum transforms into pumped mature milk.
- Someone who will sit with you as you call the hospital to talk about whether you’re bleeding too much.
- Someone who will sacrifice their own sleep to help you get some.
- Someone who sees how much you love your family, even when your parenting choices are different than their own.
- Someone who helps you realize more peace of mind and personal growth in some of the most challenging-yet-wonderous days of your life.
Can you see where I’m going here?
Hiring a Postpartum & Infant Care Doula means you get a compassionate professional who knows their shit, and helps you understand that your kiddo just won the parenting lottery. Because they did! All without pushy, unwanted advice or opinions.
Have a great day and let us know when you’d like to get on our schedule.
Seattle | Tacoma | JBLM | Olympia